Getting Started: Clicker Training for Dogs
If you're curious about clicker training and want to give it a try, Getting Started: Clicker Training for Dogs is the place to begin. If you've tried clicker training, and know that it works, keep this clicker-training bible in your library to review the underlying principles and basic techniques.If you are instructor or professional trainer, it is the beginners' reference on which you can rely.
Getting Started: Clicker Training for Dogs is a classic that has served up just the right portion of science and practical tips for anyone to understand why clicker training works so well, and the first steps to building a new system of communication and deeper bond with their dog.
With step-by-step photographs of dogs and their handlers, Karen Pryor's readabale, entertaining chapters introduce you to the why's and how's of clicker training, including:
- Shaping a behavior
- Choosing and delivering a reward
- Raising criteria
- Target training
- Timing the click
- How to progress in small steps
- Clicker training foundation behaviors, including Sit, Down, and Come when Called
- Clicker training walking on a loose leash
- Teaching a dog to be clicker savvy with the classic game "101 Things to do with a Box"
- Training alone, with a partner, and in a group
- Keeping training fun for you and your dog
Throughout, the easy-to-read text explains the science of behavior and learning that makes clicker training so effective, including:
- Why every interaction with your dog is a training opportunity
- Why mistakes are best ignored
- Why punishment doesn't work
- Why your dog will understand the language of the click better than anything else
- An all-new chapter on where to find more information and connect with other clicker trainers completes this invaluable new edition, along with Frequently Asked Questions and Clicker Tips.
Getting Started: Clicker Training for Dogs. It's the first step to the world of clicker training.
"Karen Pryor's clicker training is the most compelling demonstration of dog training that I have ever seen. No dog should go without this information."
-Nicholas Dodman, D.V.M., The Dog Who Loved Too Much
This product is backed by our Train Better Guarantee. Learn more about the Train Better Guarantee and how it can help you improve your training.